Thursday, December 5, 2013

Devil's Island





This clay piece is a sunken relief slab piece. Sunken relief is when you roll out a piece of clay and carve into it making it look sunken. I had sunken and carved out the water areas in the piece to make the sunken effect. First I sketched out my idea on a large piece of paper until it was perfect. I then folded it in 4 equal squares and cut it out. After that I rolled out 4 slabs and placed the papers on the clay. I moved the marks from the paper to the clay then carved out the water. Then it was time to fire the clay for the first time. After firing it, I painted it with glaze and fired it again. I am very proud of the design of the island and how the top left looks like a devil island design. This was a very fun yet time consuming project that I really enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment